Originally Posted by 340mag
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

You remind me of some fly fisherman I know. They insist on using the lightest tippets (end of leader) for very big fish. What happens is they can't put any real pressure on the fish, or the tippet will break. They also use very light fly rods, and again they can't put any pressure on the fish. So, all they can do is slowly play the fish until it's exhausted.
Now, keep in mind these are catch and release fisherman who claim to care for the fish. They're also fishing Gold Medal waters that are always catch and release. The point being to not kill the fish.
They finally land the exhausted trout on their tiny .223 size fishing gear, and hold up their prize bragging how they did it on small gear. Then they finally put the trout back in the water trying to revive it. It may slowly swim away, but it's dead. It went off by itself to die.
I ask them why they do it. They say because it fun and a challenge. The truth is they just want to brag about it, and could care less about killing the fish.

I feel someone who shoots a small caliber for big game is doing the same thing. Just something to brag about with no regard for the animal.

As was already said. You want to hunt elk? Buy an elk gun. Surely you can handle more than 3 lbs of recoil?

well stated! if you can,t handle at least a 270 win or 308 win, recoil levels take up ping pong, you have zero chance of packing out elk if thats your physical limits

um, some folks need help packing out anyway due to health and age.... I help whenever I am around someone that needs it. I think your statement is kinda chicken [bleep]... you are not taking into account older and disabled folks...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....