Originally Posted by logcutter
MH

How do you like the penetration you get with a round ball out of your Hawken..I only have a Thompson 50 cal and the penetration a round ball gives is not good,in my opinion.I would bet the .223/30-30 would way out penetrate the soft old round ball.

Some are so soft that when sticking one, my bullet puller pulled out of the soft lead round ball.Idaho quit letting us use sabots leaving us with either the round ball or conical..Boo.

If you have a bullet that will penetrate decently and you put that bullet where it belongs,you have dead animals.

Jayco

To be honest. This year will be the first year I try a .50 cal flintlock for elk. I've used a .54 in the past. Up to 50 yds it has enough penetration to get through both lungs. That's a big hole, and they don't go far.
My guns have slow twist barrels, and i'm committed to a PRB. Yours has a 1-48 twist, and will shoot conicals. If you have doubts about a PRB. Shoot a 400gr conical, and you'll knock an elk on it's butt.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.