Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by addicted

Case in point, humans aren't as tough as big game animals when shot. The 5.56 has been used in the military since Vietnam, BUT ask most combat vets if they wish they had more killing power, frontal area, etc. and the answer would be a resounding YES. Think about it... the 6.8 SPC was designed from the ground up to compete with and beat ballistically the 7.62x39 cartridge because of the lack of knockdown power the 5.56 had.

They are using the wrong bullets.

Well actually they are now starting to use the right bullets.

When "Brown Tip" is said that means 70gr X bullets.

When MK318 or SOST is said that means the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw without the bonding.

When MK262 is said that means the Sierra Match King 77gr HPBT.

The US Military most likely has more experienced gun fighters serving now than at any time in history and the overwhelming satisfaction with the 5.56/.223 as a fighting round in the units that have the most gun fighting experience is well known.

When UBL got his door kicked down the fellows that kicked the door and subsequently gave him one to the chest and one to the head had a lot of latitude in selecting the cartridge they were going to use and the 5.56/.223 was the choice. The resulting case of "canoe head" was the cause of much controversy and was the excuse used to not show the world pictures of his dead body.

Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The .223 has a lot of momentum around here. It seems to be against the rules to comdemn the use of it regardless of what you are hunting. If you want to stay flame free just applaud the use of the .223 on anything out there. White Rhino at 600 yards? No problem! Go use a .223 on something with a Barnes solid and you will be part of the club.

I guess I missed the part where anybody in the entire thread recommended the .223 as a great elk cartridge. Seems I read a lot of �limited range�, �stay off the shoulder�, �place it in the armpit�, and also a lot of comparison to muzzle loaders and �stuff used in days gone by�.

No one here has ever said the .223 was a good choice for a general elk hunt but most of the experienced elk hunters have said it would not be a daunting task to go fill an elk tag with a .223 and a proper bullet. Nobody has said it would be their first choice except as a way to add some challenge to a hunt in the same way a muzzle loader or archery equipment adds challenge.

Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I'd like to ask a serious question. Not trolling. Just curious.

Why use a .223 on big game?

Why use a bow? Why use a muzzle loaded? Why use a revolver?

I think Logcutter got himself a new black gun and it has all these crazy ideas swirling in his noggin.

I must admit I almost got a cow tag in NM this year to go get one with a 16 inch AR. I may have to make it happen this year.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.