Originally Posted by Calvin
Sportsman's clubs are full of guys who are clueless, looking to piggyback off someone elses knowledge and experience, without having done the legwork themselves.

Get yourself prepared, experience success, and guys who know hunting seem to have a way of finding each other. Not many experienced hunters are willing to take on someone looking to be guided.

I met one guy that I hunt with at the gym. Eventually the conversation went to hunting. I've also met a few guys in church that I consider very reliable. It's amazing how the bored guys at social functions, wearing a camo jacket (up here in AK) seem to congregate and talk hunting.

Yeah, nowadays it's rare that someone wants to make the time to mentor someone. Used to be a pretty common thing, but these days and with the self-entitlement syndrome so well entrenched in American society, no one wants to make time for anyone else.

And yes, sportsmen's groups are very much like nebulous websites such as this one; whereas there's a lot of inexperience being shown by various personalities who are trying to gather information.

Nevertheless, if a person would rather hunt with a partner or partners and doesn't have any who are readily available, internet and advertising media and local sportsmen's groups are good options to start from, as are local outdoor-oriented retail outlets.