My rifles in caliber 6.5x55 shoot better with 120gr bullets than with 140gr bullets in my handloads. I prefer the 140gr bullets for their superior penetration and on-game performance. It is a case of the rifle preferring a different bullet than I want to use. To date the powders I have tried include H4350 and H4831. My loading manuals claim velocities with these powders a bit under 2600 fps in sporter length barrels (22"). I have heard of people getting higher velocity with H1000, which is a slower powder, and of the phenomenon of "dual pressure peaks." I am curious about the accuracy of this and other slower powders in the 6.5x55. My loads kill deer fine but if enough people of good reputation report much improved accuracy with the slower powders, it will prompt me to try them. I am hesitant to do so only because I like to keep my reloading practices as simple as possible, and limiting powder selection is one of those measures.

So please talk to me about your handloads in this caliber and the accuracy you are experiencing, particularly how the slower powders compare with H4350 in the accuracy department. Thank you.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.