Thanks John. Yes, I did try free-floating on one of the rifles, which is where it is right now. This is the one that gives about 3 inch groups at 200 yards. Haven't tried it on the other yet. Sorry if I didn't enumerate that very clearly. The floated one has a really nice trigger. I am one scope short so haven't shot the non-floated one much yet, if at all, since I got it from my buddy. I swapped scopes and springs and stuff around between these rifles so I'm not absolutely sure. I think I took the stock off the one I got from my buddy and put it on the one I bought new (with the good trigger) because it was prettier wood. Anyway, the one I've been shooting lately has the nicer wood, better trigger, and Leupold 2-7x33. The only scopes I have left (not mounted on rifles) are 4Xs. They will do for hunting but aren't ideal for testing rifle accuracy at 200 or 300 yards. Guess I'll have to break down and find the money for another scope. I'm on a mission to make all my rifles hunt-ready so once I get a rifle shooting the way I want and get the scope zeroed the way I want, I'm hesitant to take it off just to test another rifle. For a while I did have a scope dedicated to the task (Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40), but it is now mounted and zeroed on my pretty Mark X 30-06. I've stooped so low as to mount a Japanese scope (Bushnel Scope Chief 2.5-8x I think) on one of my American-made Rugers in 7x57. I hope the rifle forgives me of this sin. grin

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.