DD,

I couldn't help but smile when I read your post... smile In fact, I loved it.

Perhaps about 10 yrs ago, I was sitting in my deer blind contemplating the whats, whys and other pertinent information pertaining to hunting, when I came up with the idea that one really does NOT need a magnum to kill deer. I then realized that a competent marksman needs only to place himself in the proper place, and exhibit reasonable patience, and with one shot can have venison on the table.

If fact the particular cartridge is more than a bit irrelevant. Further, I concluded that proper deer rifles started at 6.5 cal and continued on up as far as on can stand the recoil... (I truly believe that the dual purpose, varmint/deer rifles are better left to varmints. However, YMMV) I also realized that the longest range I've ever taken a deer is less than 125 yds...

If I could only own one rifle, it's likely be a .308 Win. But instead I own rifles in at least 35 or 40 different chamberings. But when it comes time to go hunting, I usually reach for an 8x57, 9x57, .358 Win, or 9.3x62. Mostly just because I like them... blush grin

GH

BTW... I think it's called maturity... laugh

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"