I am in the process of the same thing at 44.

My heaviest rifle was a 300 WM, but time and use made me realize the .308 did the same job with a lot less recoil and meat damage. The deer drop just as fast. Ditto the 12 gauge slug gun vs, the 20 gauge version. Deer showed no difference when hit by either, but my shoulder sure knew the difference.

Other than the 9.3x57 I just picked up to take hog hunting, my .308 and 7x57 are my biggest calibers. Others are 6.5x55, 30/30, 6.5 Jap, and .223. They are all I really need for the stuff I hunt.

The only guns I do not associate with smaller calibers are my handguns, .40/10mm cal and up are the only way to go for me, especially the .45's, acp and colt are by far my favorites.

There was a time when I was competitively shooting skeet that I was convinced I had to have 3 dram loads to "hit em hard". Through the years the light bulb came on that my scores were about the same with all four gauges even though the under 12 ones did not have as much power or shot charges behind them. Now I shoot a 7/8 ounce light 12 gauge loads instead of the 3 dram 1 1/8 oz. of years past and can say my scores are actually better as my patterns are more even.

They say with age comes wisdom, some just take longer to listen to it.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".