As opposed to some of the folks on this forum, I think a Leupold 4.5 X 14 X 40 LR scope is about perfect for a .257 Weatherby.

I have looked in the one inch version of the 4.5 X 14 Leupold without any AO and I would not have one on a gift!

The 4.5 X 14 Leupold one inch scope with an AO is a great scope but not near as good as the 30mm LR version. I have several of each, believe me.

I once thought the one inch 3.5 X 10 VX III was just about as good as it gets till I spent some time behind the 4.5 X 14 X 40 LR scope. I sold all my 3.5 X 10 scopes. The difference in clarity and the sharpness and the way the reticle stands out is amazing.

I now own six of the 4.5 X 14 LR scopes and would not trade them for much of anything I have looked through. Oh, maybe a Swarovski, but good chance of that happening.

Don't get me wrong, I still have some lower powered Leupolds on guns that don't need the power. I currently have Leupold 2.5 X 8 scopes on a 7-08, a 338 Win Mag, and a .375 H%H and have no plans to replace them.