Well I live out here where those critters are and there is a lot of good info in these opinions but what I didn't see is anybody making a point about FOV. I've hunted with the 6-18 and the 4-14 and VX II and VX III and Vari X II's and III's and on and on. Take a serious look at the real range you will be shooting....say 400 yards to toss out a number. 400/10=40 so on 10X an antelope will appear to you the same at 400 yards as it would be at 40 yards with your naked eye. To me, that's plenty of magnification for any hunting of that size and larger of animals.

That said, if you are trying to make it a spotting scope as well as a rifle scope you would love to have the large magnification but good luck holding that thing stead enough to see any difference unless you have a bi-pod or some sticks or something rock solid.

Next, FOV, try looking through an 18X scope out at an animal on the move, not easy at any range. Then you have the optics and their coatings and all of that. Bottom line to me, the VX II's are fine for hunting and the difference between them and "better" quality is there but not always that easily seen. Deer and antelope are not shot in the back of a closet so it's usually bright enough to not tell much difference. Yes, focus and focus depth are there but most of the time with them you also have time to adjust the AO.

My personal stuff that really gets used have a 4.5-14x44 and a 3.5-10x44 on them and they both are great. The ranging reticles are fantastic and take a lot of the guess work out especially combined with a range finder. My suggestion is get what you like to your eye, what fits your wallet, what fits your rifle (weight, length, eye relief, color, finish) and personally I would think your 10X variables are fine but I sure wouldn't argue with a 14X top end. Also, that side AO is the way to go but I was told by an optics professional that inside around 600 yards to maybe a little farther we don't really even have to have that. I like it but it's not a requirement to me.

Just my 2 cents worth.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson