Originally Posted by BobinNH
There isn't very much western hunting that can't be managed nicely with a fixed 6X.

To each his own opinion and way to get it done!

While we both have experience hunting our eyesight and methods may vary in a significant manner.

I was hunting here in New England on a very large farm. I saw something way off across the highway on the other part of the farmers land. It looked like it may have been a deer but I was not sure. I had venison and did not want to shoot a doe.

I turned my 3-9 Conquest up to 9 and I could not be sure if it was worth the hike to get closer. My binoculars were Leu 8X's which I liked up to then.

Thus I have purchased switch power binoculars that go from 7X to 12X.

I am not comfortable with a fixed 6X rifle scope for game hunting. My eyesight, while acute, does not handle fast moving game with that much magnification when up close. I have run and won running deer shoots and shot many moving deer up closer.

I have shot many pests with a fixed 6X back when its all I had on my .222. That was long ago. I find variables to be more useful to me.

To each his own.
[Linked Image]

To add:
I remembered when we were in school and checking out playing golf as a hobby. One of us said that he could do the whole course with a 5 iron. Suppose he could!

What was he thinking? Perhaps that he was better than any of us or the opposite and that he should wear a hair shirt?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!