Originally Posted By: Ringman
Quote:
I was told by an optics professional that inside around 600 yards to maybe a little farther we don't really even have to have that

This professional lacks real world experience.

Like one gun writer told me, lots of gun writers shoot with their type writers. Maybe we should add, lots of optics professionals observe with their computers.

That's really interesting since that "optics professional" was a Zeiss optical engineer. Guess you know more?

It sounds like it. If optics engineers are like mechanical engineers then absolutely. I called a blower company to come to the company and get us more suction. The 100 H.P. motor had 20" diameter pulley and the blower fan had a 20" pulley. He told me we could put a couple 10" pulleys and get quite a bit more air moving. I told him to get lost.

I called an electrician and had him tell me the max amp usage of the motor and what was being used. With this information I left the 20" on the motor and installed an 18" on the fan. It worked perfectly.

Another time, in another city, when we were setting up a new plant the engineer wanted to run a four foot diameter pipe the full length of the building. Again I told him to leave. We started at the smallest opening and ran that size pipe to the next machine. At that machine we ran that size together to a common pipe. That pipe had the same cross sectional area as the two combined. We did this until everything was included and based on that we ordered the right size fan and motor. I knew from experience if the pipe is too large it fills with shavings and requires more power to accomplish the same job.

When we built a machine for a specific job the engineer told us what we could do. Again he was wrong. We ended up with the fastest machine of its kind in the country.

All this is to say I am not impressed with engineers in both the optics field, based on what you posted, and the wood working field. Like the gun writer sorta said, "They make stuff up."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter