Yup, it is NOT the "cheapest" means of getting a decent hunting pack, BUT, as with all my gear, I have always looked at it from the perspective of getting and using what works BEST FOR ME and also lasts longest.

I have gear, well-worn, I bought in 1964-70,in my first few years of really active backpacking, wilderness working and hunting-the hunting has always been the least of these in importance to me- that is STILL as functional as when I bought it. My buddies used to chuckle at my highend gear and then spend two years BCFS salary on a "GTO man", while I drive four-bangers and use gear that is the best one can buy.

I do not advocate a beginner buying a McHale or even a MR, start with the basics and see what YOU actually enjoy, before spending hard earned coin that you might well later regret. However, for guys like Wes here and, it seems, an increasing number of others all over North America, the current upsurge in serious backpack hunting makes it practical and fiscally sound to buy gear of this quality and then use the H*LL out of it.

This year, AT LONG LAST, the 6-pt. Elk season around my home town is OPEN Sept. 10th. and I am going to spend every minute I can there, trying to get a REAL "hawg" of a bull, something that I have never done, my biggest is a "nice" 5-pt. So, my McHale will wait until next winter and "riverjet"'s pack is exactly what I have had in mind for several years.

Would anyone be interested in a Dana Longbed Loadmaster-large-green- in NEW condition, as I have two and will never use this one?