Originally Posted by fatjack34

I am always amazed when I hear of a hunter that has killed hundreds of deer and or seen hundreds more....now I am not judging or disputing....but unless there is special circumstances, I just can't wrap my head around how that occurs in a lifetime that is not that long........again....that is just me and I live and hunt in NH.

And I'm always amazed when people who kill less deer in a lifetime than some 12 year olds kill in a single year where I'm from, give pointed opinions on what is and what isn't capable. If you've only killed ten or twenty deer in your lifetime you don't have much killing experience. Not a dig or slam but if I were a mechanic and only had worked on ten cars I wouldn't have much mechanicing experience.

I grew up and live in a state where the limit is 3 deer a day, every day, for nearly 4 straight months. That isn't say just because someone has killed a hundred deer that they know the first thing about guns, shooting, equipment, etc. I worked crop damage with guys whose ballistic knowledge could fit in a teacup. Those same dudes might shoot ten or twenty deer in a day. I eventually came to the conclusion that there is a difference between killing one deer 20 times, and killing 20 deer.

Between our seasons and crop damage, I can't think of a cartridge I use that I don't have at least 25 deer on.....

Now having done it I don't quite agree with predmaster on the 223. Of course it's doesn't damage as mush tissue as a 243 with good bullets but it damages enough. Way more then an arrow and I would rather kill deer with a the right bullet out of a 223 than an 85gr TSX from a 243......