I am not deliberately trying to start a raging argument. I understand that a 3-position side-swing safety is considered the gold standard. But I am wondering what to do about a rifle I am have.

I'm wanting to get into a .375 H&H at a "moderate" expense. Toward that end, I've gotten a used Whitworth Express Rifle. So far, I've had the barrel cut and recrowned at 22" and had a NECG banded front sight installed. Now I'm thinking about next steps.

This rifle has had the original trigger replaced with a Timney that has the side safety. It works very well. If I replace this with an Alaskan Arms trigger (old Winchester Model 70 type), and 3-position safety, I'm looking at about $500 in parts plus installation charges (I can probably do the trigger, but not the safety). So I'm thinking hard about whether to do this or not.

I own a lot of other rifles, and almost all of them have 2-position safeties, including Remingtons, Sakos, Colt Sauers, and customs by the Biesens. The only 3-position safeties are on my Model 70's. I've never had a problem with any of the former group, nor do I leave them home because of the way they function.

That Timney side safety would be quick to use. I know it doesn't lock the firing pin, nor does it allow unloading on "safe."

I understand only I can decide, but wonder what others might think?

Al

Spend your life wisely.