Thanks for the replies, gents. This rifle disease can certainly make me obsess! I kind of "want" to put a 3-position safety on this Whitworth, but then I get to thinking about all my other rifles with 2-position safeties that don't worry me. Weird, I know.

I'm planning to have the stock refinished, so would want a piece of walnut that matches as well as possible fitted to the gap. I'm sure you would see it if you looked, but it probably would not be obvious.

Using one of Jim Kobe's side-swing safeties is an option, but they are also 2-position. Jim put one on a Swede for me several years ago and it works perfectly. (Jim is who cut the barrel and installed the banded front sight on the Whitworth.)

I was thinking that if I go to the expense of a 3-position side safety, I would swap out the trigger for one of the new ones from Alaska Arms that lists for $220, so that is how I got to about $500 in parts. I could just use a Timney without safety for a lot less, or perhaps the safety mechanism on the trigger I have can be removed and the trigger is still functional.

Decisions!

Al

Spend your life wisely.