Originally Posted by FC363

Ok then. Just move the bolt back and forth on your PF and watch it double feed. If you hold the trigger while riding the bolt home, it locks the trigger to the rear, so it cant possibly fire. Now unless your bolt shroud falls off and someone comes along with a punch and hits it with a hammer, the rifle's not going to go off.

Do you handle rifles very much? or just read about it?

Every now and then someone says something so off the wall that it makes you question what you've known forever, this is one of those times. To prove to myself that what you said is absolutely bat-$hit crazy I went to my safe and pulled out one of the many CRF M70's in there and did as you say, sure enough the firing pin fell when I rode the bolt home. I wasn't crazy enough to have a round in there at the time, but if I had then it's obvious that the firing pin would be resting on the primer of the live round. Just to make sure I pulled a second M70 out and did the same thing, the firing pin rode home on it too. Then I pulled out a zastava mauser 30-06, same thing, the firing pin rode home and would be resting on the primer if there were a round in the chamber. Any of them could be fired with a sharp blow to the bolt shroud in that condition.

Mr Stuart has a way with words, as most Aussies do. I won't get quite as colorful as he, but it's obvious that anyone dumb enough to follow your advice would be a menace to himself and anyone around him.