utah708,

Thanks for your additional reply. I understand what you are saying. I guess "moderate expense" is too relative a term, and was a poor choice on my part. I know I could have saved money just by buying a new Winchester or CZ. I expect to spend a good bit more than that, but less than a full-blown custom, by the time I am done. But it will be exactly what I want (if I ever decide. grin I'm actually pretty close.)

I got what I think is a good deal on the Whitworth, at $625. For the work I've had done, plus another take-off stock that is in better shape and has much more figure than the stock that came with the rifle, I'm into this for about another $425. So I'm at $1050 and have a very serviceable rifle. I'd definitely like to have the forend shortened a tad, the plastic tip replaced with ebony, ebony inlays over the crossbolt, and the stock refinished. I know that will cost for these aesthetic improvements. Then I'm foolishly agonizing over what to do about the trigger and safety.

The Whitworth as modified comes in at 9-1/2 pounds with a 3X Leupold in Talley quick detachable mounts, hitting my target weight for a rifle in this cartridge.

I appreciate your thoughts.

And that is a beautiful, classy rifle!

Al

Spend your life wisely.