Originally Posted by Shod
I was under the impression that Winchester is now owned by browning. Is this true? Maybe the reason for the exceptional accuracy?

Anyways....I'm going to get one in 270 FWT real soon. Nice to see all the positive reviews.

Shod

Strictly speaking, the "Winchester" brand is owned by Olin Corporation, which makes ammo and licenses the brand to others for rifles and shotguns. In 2006, U.S. Repeating Arms which made Winchester rifles went out of business and closed the New Haven (actually North Haven, I believe) plant.

Thereupon, Olin licensed the brand to FN Herstal, a huge arms company in Belgium. FN opened a new plant in Columbia, South Carolina, where Model 70s are now made. FN also owns the Browning line, based in Morgan, Utah but separate, although I think that some police sniper rifles use the same actions under each name.

Perhaps others can confirm this.

I read that the SC products are superb and are based on new, state-of-the-art machinery. Unfortunately, no LH versions offered. Ownership by FN, while not American, is a great plus in comparison to other gun companies (e.g., Remington, Marlin) that are owned by investment companies. FN has been in the gun business for a long time and knows the business and the value of the Winchester name.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).