Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

truthfully I have been lucky, not crazy about how Rem attaches their bolt handles (though mine have stayed on) ...

I use Rem 700s and, while the 'adhesive' method of construction isn't superior to most others, silver brazing can be very sound when it is done correctly. (That is the method I prefer for sight attachment to barrels in fact.) "When it is done correctly" is why I wouldn't take a rifle such as a 700 on any important or expensive hunt unless I knew the rifle well and trusted it. But I do use Model Sevens, even keep one around as a sometimes bear rifle, but I have shot them enough, both hot and soft, and know they don't come apart under either condition. But I'm one of those silly old boys who won't load ammo hot or tight for big game hunting. In fact, I'm quite okay with leaving an MOA on the table in order to have the assurance that my ammo will slide right in, empties will drop right out, and my rifle won't squirt anything anywhere other than out the spout. smile

Originally Posted by ChipM
I've heard stories of broken extractors. How common is this?

It's always the extractor, isn't it? wink That seems kind of funny when you put it into context. Some guides frown on the use of handloads. I don't find that so very surprising considering the fact that many folks seem to work with hunting ammo which is minimally sized, or has bullets seated kissing, or very nearly so, the rifling. (Ever see what happens when a case-full of powder ends up in the action? grin ... It ain't funny!) Then there's the ammo that is just barely short enough for the magazine, the ammo which hangs up...oh, only rarely. (You know when it will!) What about the magazine spring. Ever think about what will happen to the rifle if it breaks? Ever been on a hunt where everything is good until the wheels start coming off the cart and it turns into gits and shiggles? Did you count the cartridges you stuffed in the mag during reload, or did you just shove them in. Did I ask if you've ever broke a magazine spring? Yeah, it's about as funny as ice water all the way up to say, your belly button. Have you ever "slapped and slammed" ammo down range as fast and as hard as you can aim and go? No? Do you suppose you might do something similar when old canus lupus bolts on you after near miss? Are you certain your rifle feeds perfectly under those conditions? (That's a really lousy time to have a stove-pipe jam you know. eek )

Alright, I've told enough tales on somebody, but perhaps there is a point. I'm less concerned about what parts may get worn out at the range from time to time; more concerned with what can happen in the field and what I can prevent.

Great post Klik...lots of common sense stuff thre that is infrequently mentioned.It gets lost in the din of things like kissing lands and improved cases loaded to the bursting point.Folks seem to forget that the FIRST mission of rifle and ammo in hunting scenarios is to function flawlessly,first and foremost. The Brits understood this all too well.....Americans, OTOH worship at the alter of squeezing the last fps from the smallest possible case with the potential for less than perfect function.

Gently cycling rounds one at a time over sandbags doesn't bear the foggiest resemblance to running them hard from the shoulder if needed.I have seen the old "slip over the rim" extractor snafu but fortunately on a mule deer headed away.

A "kit" accompanies my M70's when I go on a trip for trigger repairs; I have needed it once in 30-odd years to fix someone else's rifle. He was astonished I even had it!

And a spare extractor was made for my M70 375....I have been remiss regarding a follower spring but at your suggestion will tend to that as well.

Thanks for bringing some common sense stuff to the thread.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/07/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.