Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

truthfully I have been lucky, not crazy about how Rem attaches their bolt handles (though mine have stayed on) ...

I use Rem 700s and, while the 'adhesive' method of construction isn't superior to most others, silver brazing can be very sound when it is done correctly. (That is the method I prefer for sight attachment to barrels in fact.) "When it is done correctly" is why I wouldn't take a rifle such as a 700 on any important or expensive hunt unless I knew the rifle well and trusted it. But I do use Model Sevens, even keep one around as a sometimes bear rifle, but I have shot them enough, both hot and soft, and know they don't come apart under either condition. But I'm one of those silly old boys who won't load ammo hot or tight for big game hunting. In fact, I'm quite okay with leaving an MOA on the table in order to have the assurance that my ammo will slide right in, empties will drop right out, and my rifle won't squirt anything anywhere other than out the spout. smile

Regarding the construction method of attaching bolt handles on Remington 700s, let me add this for your consideration.

Just before Thanksgiving, I purchased a new Remington Model 700 XCR II rifle in .30-06. This is the model with the black TriNite finish. On Thanksgiving morning, that rifle went to the range.

After putting the rifle on the sand bags on the shooting bench, the shooter went to push the bolt forward on a completely empty rifle. The box of ammo was still unopened.

There followed a strange metallic clink, and I looked on in disbelief as the bolt handle was now lying on the shooting bench. It fell off before the bolt was even fully forward, and way before the bolt was being turned down.

Obviously the rifle did not get fired.

That rifle is now back at Remington, and I am waiting with great interest to see what they choose to do.

As an aside, the rifling in the barrel did not start uniformly where the barrel meets the receiver. It started on one side where it should, but it only started farther down the barrel on the other side.

Since the rifle could not be shot, I do not know what effect this would have had on accuracy.

Anything can happen in a manufacturing process. But this certainly raises some questions in my mind about the quality control of the current Remington Model 700.