Brent

Some parts of central Portugal are fairly mountainous but the general area I hunt in is Castelo Branco and is mostly very similar to the rolling hills of Zululand so not too difficult for retired old farts like me. smile

the main big quarries are red & roe deer & wild boar (I get a lot of wild boar around the house here as well).

Smaller quarry is mostly foxes, hares & rabbits. Then there's the wingshooting and that's mostly walked up (over pointers) or driven partridges and a fair bit of duck shooting.

If you're a fisherman then the inland lakes/flooded valleys have tip top coarse and trout fishing. I'm also told that some fishing venues here even have sturgeon in them and the sea fishing (including marlin) is (I'm told) some of the best in Europe.

I didn't expect to find much hunting here at all when I emigrated from Africa but was very pleasantly surprised to find I was wrong in that assumption.

The game laws are a tad complicated but I booked through Athina Hunting Tours who are based in the UK and they were brilliant.

As for prices, they're considerably cheaper than in the adjoining countries......... but for some reason, the Portuguese couldn't sell a shag in a knocking shop and I reckon that's why no-one seems to have hunted here.

I don't know anything the Absokora Mountains I'm afraid but assume they're big and beautiful..... I'd like to see them but am too short, too old and too stuffed up to go climbing them I'm afraid.

So the rolling hills of Castelo Branco will do me fine nowadays. smile

Last edited by Shakari; 01/08/13.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost