Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Someone asked why pits aren't used as bomb dogs and the like. I know pits are used as service dogs for a few things, but I have never seen a lousier nose on a dog than what my pup exhibits. She marks very well though. smile
My current Pit mix has a pretty amazing nose. She likes to sleep in the front yard, and I often step out the back door to attend to my hens. She knows by merely sniffing the air that I've stepped out back (and no, not because I stink grin), and comes running into the back yard to greet me with a toy in her mouth. I know it's by scent because a few times I've stepped out, than changed my mind and went back in, then looked out the front living room window to see her sound asleep, but within a few seconds, once the scent had a chance to get to the front yard, she'd suddenly wake up, put her nose high into the air to sniff, then grab a toy and dart into the back yard thinking I'm back there.

PS This is my current Pit mix.

[Linked Image]

That's a good lookin puppa.

I could never get out the back door without Penny hearing it. I trained her from the time she was a little pup to come to me tapping on the glass. Aside from her tracking and spotting things very well, she can also hear a mouse fart two blocks away.