Originally Posted by Jrhunter25
In my last question I was asking about the .300 Weatherby a friend of mine ( and maybe a few posts ) suggested that maybe a .338 Win Mag would suit my needs better. I have looked at the .338 win mag recoil charts ( for my boy ) and seen that it kicks similar overall. This rifle is more for my son ( to grow into ) than for me. But right now it is more for me. If I choose the .38 Win Mag I will get a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP and handload and make reduced recoil handloads for my son. Which would be a better rifle for using all over the world ? I would not handload for the .300 Weatherby ( if that's what I get ) for awhile after I get it ( 1-3 years later ). The .338 Win Mag I would handload for right away.

BTW, could anyone share reliable reduced recoil load data for either cartridges ?
..........Which is the better all around cartridge for all over the world you ask?

You really cannot go wrong with either imo. But aside from any recoil comparisons and timelines for handloading, as a suggestion, what you should do when really comparing any two rounds with a fine tooth comb, is go on the Hornady site and play around with their external ballistics calculator.

Type in your choice of 30 and 33 caliber bullets, the BCs for those bullets, the bullet weights, your prefered scope`s zero in yardage, probable temps and wind speeds, the est MVs and take alot of notes along the way.

Compare all of the downrange #s for the 300 Wby and 338 Win;;; the velocities, ft lb energies and the trajectory bullet drops at all of the given distances shown. If I recall, you can see exactly what the bullets will do from the muzzle out to either 500 yards on one chart and out to 1000 yards on another using 50 and 100 yard downrange increments.

Of the two, the flatter shooter for longer ranged work will be the 300 Wby.

If you do that comparison using the external ballistics calculator and just using the Hornady bullets BC info on their site, you`ll be able to really get down to the nuts and bolts performance ballistics comparison between them.

Then after your comparing is all done, determine which best suites your hunting needs most of the time and for the terrains and game you`ll be hunting.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger