Old Roy saw a whole buncha you "special" folks coming,IMHO. smile

Once I got my .338 tweaked and wrung out, I found that a box of cartridges (I handload) lasts for 4 or 5 years, mostly. An ideal year goes like this: take gun out of storage, check screws, run a patch down the bbl. Fire once for POA check. Fire a second time to drop moose, a third time for an insurance shot from a few yards out. Clean rifle, put away until next year. In a less than ideal year, I fire it only once.... or a half dozen times. Unless I've changed loads which need tweaking. I use it only for moose hunting, tho my '06 and several other calibers have killed as many, and as well. Mostly I carry it for moose hunting for bubious comfort, as there are some other big hairy, 1,000 lb critters out there...

Actually, I haven't fired the thing in several years, since I moved up here where there are more caribou than moose.

The .260 and '06 don't get much more of a workout either on targets, or even on caribou, per animal... I know where and how they shoot, too. It doesn't take mucho bench-rest rounds out the bbl. once those two items are determined to kill game at all reasonable ranges.. IF the longer range is known, or it's inside 300 yards.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.