Originally Posted by Nick_or_Rutledge
I started shooting my .338 WM at 14 with 250 grain bullets at close to max load. I have shot it ever since. So with 14 years behind one I have learned a few lessons. First, don't shoot a lot, just shoot often. So go to the range with 10-20 rounds at a time, but go once or twice a week. Second, 225 grain bullets match the 250 grain bullets for down range ballistic performance 90% of the time and give less felt recoil. Third, I think that a 85-90% load feels about the same as a 65-75% load so don't give up too much performance. Lastly, you only need one shot when hunting, so who cares about recoil. If you use proper technique when shooting at the range and concentrate on being accurate it is manageable.

All of that being said. I would not recommend getting a teenager a 338 WM. There is nothing in the continental USA that would make a 270 inadequate, and if having a higher recoil gun makes your son afraid of the gun or not want to shoot it, then you have defeated the purpose. I would say, borrow a 338 and let your son shoot it, then ask him what he thinks.

Nick

The final comment here is an excellent suggestion, IMO and one I would follow if I had a son to teach to shoot and hunt.