I've owned two MK V's in 300 Weatherby. Shot factory ammo only. I found the recoil to be sudden and violent. It took concentration for the follow through, and back then due to my eye sight, I was a nasty stock crawler. Worst I have ever been beaten was a prone shot from my 300 Weatherby.

I've since sold both those rifles, purchased perscription shooting glasses, and gone to a longer LOP than Weatherby rifles have. I now own a .338 and a 375 H&H and have braked them both. They both shoot at around 2700-2800 fps, and have the recoil of a 30-06. In the field I do not notice the noise of the brake. Around any kind of structure, say a roof over the bench on the range the noise of the blast seems to be amplified.

The 375 H&H is my plan B elk rifle, and the money gun is the .338. It has the BT turret on the Swaro scope so I'm good to 600 yards and change if need be. I have found it easier to find ammo for the .338 and 375 than the Weatherby, and when I do its a lot cheaper than Weatherby factory.

Having said all the above, a 200 grain Accubond or 168 TTSX out of a 300 Weatherby is damn tough to beat.