Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Miles,

I performed a better test than the one you suggest last summer with the new 55-grain Nosler Varmageddon bullets and prairie dogs. Used both my tang-safety Ruger 77 .220 Swift with the bullets loaded up to 3800 fps (1-14 twist) and a Nosler Varmageddon AR-15 .223 with their factory ammo at 3100 fps (1-8 twist.

The difference in expansion was VERY apparent--with the advantage going to the AR-15. Ranges were from 100-300 yards, and the experiment was repeated many times throughout the day.

John,

I am strictly talking about monos. I have no queston about lead spinning very fast is capable of a lot more splatter because it tends to come undone in even small targets. You probably couldn't measure a difference in expansion with calipers on bullet in that case.

Monos are tough enough that if you could recover enough of them you might be able to measure something. According to Barnes you can't make them come undone in the air no matter how fast you spin them, and I think that part of their answer is true. I don't know that we couldn't make the same statement about heavier constructed lead core bullets too. Anyone with a fast twist barrel has to take some light construction bullets and wind them up just to make them go poof.

I remain doubtful that spin rate will do much for expansion with monos while I believe that enough RPMs can make a noticeable change in tissue damage. I can see the forces would try to make it happen, but monos are pretty tough to bend or open more if you try to work on a partially expanded bullets. Fully expanded monos probably cannot be expanded more short of hitting steel or something close to that resistance.