Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 378Canuck

I've shot lots of animals with every produced bullet from all the different manufactures and they all killed them dead.

While 'killing' IS the primary goal of shooting (hunting)animals, 'how' the bullet performs is very important.

I am speaking for a total of one, myself, I demand a bullet to hold together and not to explode or separate in several pieces. When hunting 'stuff' happens and sometimes the bullet does not hit precisely where we want it to hit. Maybe there's been deflection by something unseen. Maybe the animal takes a step or turns at exactly the wrong moment, et.al.

The more violently the bullets opens/explodes the more/greater tissue damage is done. That's fine IF it's in the lungs but I don't want it to pulverize the shoulder, backstrap, or ham. And in some of those instances the death may occur much later and the animal might not be recovered.

We as hunters must determine what we call/determine what is acceptable bullet 'performance'. For ME, just because the animal dies does not mean the bullet performed properly.

I agree with what you say but when you move up to a .375 caliber shooting from 300 -235 grain bullets from all the manufactures, it doesn't really make much difference unless your shooting Rhinos and elephants. Bullet construction seems to come into play more and more as you drop toward a 22 caliber. That is too say -as men become more girly or older they seem to pick up lighter and smaller calibers and try to make up the loss in energy by increasing bullet efficiency. For example-I've killed more than one moose/bears after the bullet had gone through some large trees. Small calibers don't even try.

Last edited by 378Canuck; 04/16/13. Reason: spelling

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.