I feel you are right.. I have several .44's and several .357's.. But I reload for all.. With out reloading, I wouldn't shoot the .44 much.. As Just a Hunter said, I load my .44 with .44 spls. most of the time, or a light 44 mag. load.. I have only one .44 spl. it is a Bisley model so I don't carry it a bunch..
I DO prefer the .44 mag. even though I load it with spl.s most of the time, because I can put heavy magnum loads in them when in grizzly country..
That said, I probably carry my 357's stoked with hot 38 spl.s most of the time, when not in bear country.. They are fun to shoot, very accurate, and I can it better at longer distances with the lighter caliber pistol.. Most of my pistol shooting is at rocks, junk, plastic water filled bottles, and some varmint shooting..

I truly wish I were handgunner enough to shoot well with the .44 mag. but I am not and never will be.. but I still like to play with 'em.. But I think you are on the right track with the lighter caliber, but I would also look at reloading.. You won't save a dime, but shoot 10 times more...

Molon Labe