Jack, I'm sorry that I could not respond more quickly. I was at a match all weekend, roasting my brains out in the heat and humidity.

I'm sure that by now Bill has called, emailed, PMed and probably twitted you a dozen times, but I'll simply add that your stock Shiloh chamber will shoot paper patches just fine. Some chambers are a little trickier than others, but they can all be made to shoot well, if you spend the time (and sometimes money) to get the job done right. What is currently being called "the paper patch" chamber on the internet today is nothing magic. I have a rifle with that chamber and it shoots fine - but it is hardly the most accurate.

From your description of wads falling out, bullets not fitting in the brass and all the various crimps, etc, I think you have many dimensional issues that, if you get them right, will suddenly go away.

There are many ways to load hunting ammunition in that Shiloh and if you want to make it work I'd be happy to help, and we can start with some simple things like using known components (ie, wads of known dimensions and carefully measured bullets and paper).

I do not use nickeled brass so I can't tell you anything about springiness. However, if your bullets won't chamber, maybe the brass is too thick. Or maybe your bullets with paper added are too thick. But the bottom line, is that you should be able to easily chamber proper bullets from any of a several different recipes for loading. Figuring out where the problem lies simply requires sitting down with a set of calipers and seeing what you are working with.

Where do you want to start?

BTW, what vintage is your Shiloh? Does it say Farmington or Big Timber (with a "B" in the serial number)?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.