Originally Posted by jt402
BRENT AND SHARPSGUY: Ok gentlemen. I did not timely respond as I said I would. After the kids went home, I have had an " ox in the ditch." I have also misplaced my notes with chamber info on it for the ..40-65 Shiloh. I have no data on the heavy barrel Ruger No. 1. Forget it. I have decided to scope it and use smokeless and commercial bullets of whichever type it likes best. Weight, cast, jacketed, or even patched.

I posted my woes with the Shiloh on their site. With recommended papers, I have one of three problems. The patched bullet will not chamber, the bullet will chamber but usually cannot be unloaded without pulling the bullet, or the seating process will not hold the bullet. None of these is satisfactory for hunting.

Recommendation one was to get a Redding taper crimp die. Did that. No help. The next recommendation was to get a .40 S&W die set and use that die to crimp. That will work, but not well. It is not of sufficient diameter to work without a lot of force, resulting in a pretty firm crimp.

Honestly, I have left this project on the back burner for two years, maybe longer.

I have been using the bullet from a Canadian maker that builds an adjustable mold, courtesy Dean Becker out in the desert west. They seem to measure .399 and weigh about 340 and 375. Best I can tell, my barrel is spot on at .400/.408. Brass is Starline, powder (for now) is Goex FFG. I have tried card wads from waxed milk cartons, vegetable wads and no wads. That for sure is not an option as the powder always dumps if the bullet pulls. I have bought several papers. If it is thick enough,,it doesn't chamber or sticks when inserted. Loaded to seat properly, bullets fall out when handled, other than very carefully. I have not shot paper for accuracy. I don't have function whipped yet.

I have successfully used greasers from BACO, both 370 and 410. I could clean the loaded round enough to eliminate any grime attraction.

What I seem to need is a leade that is longer and perhaps a couple of thousandths larger. Mr. Mulhern mentioned special paper patch chambers. Maybe I need to call Shiloh.

APDDSN0864, Like you,,financials are not as good as they once were. I retired too young, seventeen years ago. Some investment with Enron and GM, took the cost of living away. good thing is we are still OK. I had a rifle on consignment for about three years asking $2000. Best offer I had was $1500. Since there was no financial need to sell, I picked the rifle up a couple of years ago. I sold it last week for $3500. So maybe things are getting better.

One option is to sell the Shiloh and start over with a ..45-70 cut for paper or re barrel. I have a potential buyer. Another is to work the chamber, but only if I can have it factory done or by someone that'll others tell me the craftsman knows his business. Or I can forget the nostalgia and shoot greasers. It isn't an historical buffalo hunt round anyway. One thing I have not mentioned, my brass is nickel plated. Could this add to the "springiness" of the brass? Understand that I am a raw rookie at this game., even if I am an old fart. Jack

That .399 slug is to big to start with, if you must use that slug then get a thinner paper and seat the bullet deeper.
395 probably a bunch better diameter to go with.
Chamfer the inside of the case mouths.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com