Fireball,

Absolutely correct, sir. The problem for me for a long time was quantifying what would make a custom rifle "Feel good" or lively. I measured the measureables on some nice rifles that I really liked and learned that despite my having XXL hands I much prefered a slender pistol grip. I then always specified a grip diameter of 4.25 inches. Add to this an open, almost "prince of Wales" style grip and a slender but slightly ovaled forend with diamond point checkering and I have rifle nirvannah.

I am really glad that I had a couple of good ones built when I could do so and have so far managed to keep ahold of them.

Here is my best of the best, my much travelled and bloodied 416 Rigby, as done up by our own Karnis:

[Linked Image]

Closer up to show the grip area and smaller diameter

[Linked Image]

To make a lively feeling slender grip on a heavy kicking rifle like this one must use good quality, well grained wood. To hedge our bets, this stock's grip has a 3/8 inch steel rod embedded into or through its full length, epoxied in with Brownells Steelbed bedding compound.

This feature is also useful in that if I am ever run over by a cape buff and in great agony, the stock will still be in good order and can be used as a club by my tracker or skinner to bludgeon me into a nice, deep, pain free coma! shocked

Last edited by safariman; 02/03/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500