Originally Posted by efw
Weight is a big one.

I know tastes change and people follow one another when building customs,but I think an awful lot of the customs I see on here don't resemble all-round BG rifles to me....they look too much like target belly guns with bulky for ends,gear shifter bolt knobs,tight grips and the handling qualities of a railroad tie. Too much barrel also,and then having to resort to things like flutes to lighten them up.

I know they may be ideal tools for mounting a tripod,and ridge sitting to set up for long range shots but I wonder just how good they are for dropping off into the black growth in the canyon and busting a buck or bull at spitting distance, or negotiating rough country with the rifle in hand vs slung and out of reach if needed.

In short, they seem more like specialized target rifles meant for shooting from prone, than something intended for a broader range of shots normally offered,at least in the western country I have hunted,and based on how I have done it. But tastes in custom rifles change and everyone has their own notion about these things.

Agree with Big Stick on the twist thing....1-11's and 1-12's in a 30 cal BG rifle? For what? Drive them hard and churn them over.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.