Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by Sheister

And, oh yeah, throated for the Nosler 129 grain ABLR, so I can use the 140's also, by seating them just a tad deeper and still use the lighter varmint bullets for extreme varminting at long range.

Bob

sounds like an awesome build Bob.

Of the 129 and 140, which has a longer ogive?

Tanner

Not being argumentative, just considering the points. I think you have reinforced Tanner's point with you're throating choice. I don't have the bullets so I'm just making a guess off numbers (assuming that the BC coincides with the profile):

140 AB, BC=.509, OAL=1.368
129 LRAB, BC=.561, OAL=1.350

You're throating to the "slicker" bullet (based on uncomfirmed BC numbers). In this case it is slightly shorter and lighter but will still probably have more point past the kiss than the 140 will. This will result in a longer loaded COAL with the 129 than the 140....not because the 140 is the longer bullet, but because it is not as slick as the 129. Forget weight/length/etc...think slick. If your slickest will kiss (within confines) then your not-so-slick bullets will kiss at a shorter COAL.

Stealing the pics below to illustrate (not the bullets in case as they would be much closer). If both of these bullets are seated to kiss it should be pretty obvious which is going to have the longer COAL.

[Linked Image]