Sorry, but just not true. If you plan to shoot light for caliber bullets in a chamber throated for the longest for caliber bullets, the base of the bullet may not be sufficiently deep in the neck of the brass to create proper neck tension by time you are sufficiently long enough to touch the lands with the shorter bullet.
I've had this happen with a 260 Remington, a 25-06 and I have buddies who have also had it happen.
Of course, if you plan on only shooting the longest bullets for caliber, your plan is perfectly acceptable. If you want the ability to load long bullets for deer/elk and short bullets for varmints, you need to be able to reach the lands with both of them.

Try loading a 100 grain BT in a 243 case with the base to the shoulder junction. Now try load a 55 grain BT to the same ogive length. Won't be much of the bullet in the case by time you're done. Same with a number of cartridges- the .260 and most 308 based cases are just a small example. Many others are also in this boat.

Tanner, nothing personal but I doubt you've been loading anywhere near as long as my 46 years of practice and I don't know any where near it all. Saying "period" at the end of your statement doesn't really mean much if you don't know what you're talking about....

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 10/22/14.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.