Originally Posted by A_O_Bush
You will be looked after when really needed. A friend in northern BC mother had a heart attack, went to the local small hospital, they called the air ambulance (cessena citation), she was in Vancouver within 3hrs for treatment, all tax payer funded.
Our friends to the south have been fed allot of propaganda on health care. In Canada the wages are higher (for average folks), taxes are higher, we still live and play like americans, if you want to work you can do very well with out the worry of a disease or accident wiping out your finacials. Ya , could be better in that it takes time for elected surgeries. Like I said to flavour, if you want to see the future , just drive 2 hours north.

A O Bush, our health care system was sick pre-Obama care and needed some serious and wide ranging changes. Tort reform was one--liability costs were very high do to a litigious culture. But the lawyer lobby group, the biggest and strongest, put pressure on congress so that went nowhere. Second, allow insurance policies to be "mobile"; that is cross state lines, so a job change doesn't mean losing your present policy which you like. Make these policies competitive in that way. Thirdly, cover pre-existing conditions. And finally, yes, let's devise a program to cover the thirty million uncovered poor, indigent, etc.

This could have been cobbled up in a twenty page bill instead of the "War and Peace" monstrosity that this president and congress unilaterally foisted on us that is going to effect 18% of our economy. It contains over 200,000 regulations and laws as I write. It's not just a health care bill; it's an economy dampening, freedom limiting bill. It will ration care that is much more expensive. My generation and those behind will not get the care my parents generation did if this rolling disaster goes forward.

God-willing, after the 2016 elections, we can rescind it.

Wish all my northern neighbors a great weekend.

George