Originally Posted by grouseman
To all the Canadians, how many of you know someone (or several people) who have had a procedure done in the U.S. because Canadian wait times were so long?

(me - at least three people)

I worked in the health care field in the Upper Midwest ( MN, the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Iowa and U.P. of Michigan) for many years...in cardiology....

at the time, 50 per cent of the patients at the hospitals in North Dakota, Northern MN and the U.P. of Michigan for cardiology needs were from Canada...

They needed procedures within 3 to 6 months, or they were told they wouldn't survive... and the waiting lists in Canada were 18 months or so... these pour Canucks would have to come across the border or die... their Canadian Health Insurance wouldn't pay for it.. and since they were from out of the country and the Hospitals had no way to collect if they skipped out on paying the bill, they made them pay in advance for the procedures, although they got nice discounts for doing so...

I really felt sorry for many of those Canadians put into that position.....

I also worked in Canada for a Canadian Company for several years, covering AB and BC, along with the Yukon and NW Territories.. and the US side of the border also....

My health care insurance was paid for by the company, who said it was very reasonable...however the rep based in Southern California, his health care insurance with CALIF rates cost as much as the rest of the sales force on the American side of the border....

I preferred the American Health Care, but exposure to Canadian Health Care, made me know Obama Care was a BAD idea long before it ever got passed by a Legislative Branch that never even read the 1100 page bill before passing it...