I took 4 buffalo with the older Barnes 270XLC, 1 Cape Buffalo and 3 Aussie Water Buffalo. The Water are a bit bigger and heavier than the Cape. The cape, about 40yds, was down like the feet were cut off on a frontal shot to the base of the neck exiting on the rear of the right rib cage. One of the water buffalo, about 50 yards, was between the eyes so that went right down. They have an incredibly thick skull and recovered the bullet behind the skull with no petals. Had to penetrate the front and rear of the skull, that's several inches of bone.

The largest water was at 225yds, about 20 cows spooked in very dusty conditions and when the dust settled the bull surprisingly was still standing there broadside looking at us. Hit through the shoulder, it turned 180 hit behind the other shoulder, 3rd through the shoulder it was down permanently. One shoulder was freely broke. They don't get skinned but I "think" they all exited.

The 3rd water was a bit of a disaster. Police called via sat phone to see if we would kill a buff that was harassing a distant aboriginal village, well of course we would. Riding into the village the bull challenged us in the truck, I jumped out and inadvertently chambered a 260 ballistic tip. I had about a 20 yard quartering frontal shot, the shot felt perfect on its shoulder but I was shocked as it just ran off. Four hours later we caught up to it in a swamp as it ran away the PH and I hit it 2 or 3 times, it went down in the water and I put 2 more in the front of the shoulder for insurance.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the 270 again, accuracy was superb out to 300yd. Took some plains game over 200.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization