Originally Posted by Calvin
Just out of curiosity, what's the best way to go, IMO, for a "touring" vehicle? Class A is out. I looked at some Class C with the 3.0 diesel engine, and they look really nice for road trips. Or, is it much better to go the 5th wheel or toy hauler route? I do like the looks of a 27ish foot motor home with a diesel though.
Part depends on how often the unit will be used, what your budget is, IF you already have a heavy PU (3/4T or higher) and how well you and the missus (assuming here) can tolerate confinement.

One big item re: Class C (or A) units is that, unless you're towing a small car behind, you have to unhook from the campground to go anywhere - such as in town, tours, out to eat etc.. I've noted many, many more towables in campgrounds than Class C units.

'Nother item - compare the available space between a 27-28' Class C to a similar sized trailer or 5er. That cab and engine uses a lot of space. And it's a dedicated engine etc.. If that takes a dump, you're DONE until it's fixed. Using a pickup and a towable, if the truck goes south one can always hook up another pickup and continue. (neither is cheap, BTW)..

Between TTs or 5th wheels, the latter tows much easier, safer and nearly zero chance of 'fish-tail'.. AND one can tow a much larger unit if you wish - giving your family a lot more room to utilize. If you do get a toy hauler, the garage adds even more room for entertaining on these newer, classy units. There was a great article on the new styles of toy haulers just a month ago.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!