Thanks!

SD

Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by SD65
Originally Posted by taylorce1

Then I used Minwax Antique Oil finsih cut with thinner about 50/50 and followed instructions I found on Kevin Weavers tech page.

Very nice job!

How does that Minwax Antique Oil Finish hold up in rain/snow? Does it get a blotchy white appearance like some of the other wiping varnishes if exposed to moisture?

Thanks

SD

Honestly I don't know, the finish has held up very well so far. It has a ton of coats on it and it did take about a month to refinish. However, I've never had it in real wet conditions. It's pretty much a range and pronghorn rifle. I imagine a top coat of clear urethatne would help in real wet conditions.

I'd have linked the tech page from Kevin Weaver's web site but either it's down or he no longer keeps it. Kevin recommended the Minwax finish when I stopped by and had him install the new recoil pad on this stock. Basically it was just wet sanding the stock again wiping the slurry off until it filled the grain in like I wanted. Then several more coats of the finish letting it dry and rubbing it with steel wool between coats.