I've been doing finishing for a long time, as you apparently have. I suppose we all have our favorite techniques. Being a woodworker, I am constantly trying new finishes, with the ideal finish being the best finish for the least amount of work. I've used, and been happy with Antique Oil, and have had no blotching issues, though I haven't had it snowed on yet. That was, compared to an old style hand rubbed oil finish, pretty easy. These days I'm thinking that using Tung oil in place of BLO might speed up the process of the hand rubbed oil finish, which is my favorite stock finish.

What I don't normally like on a gunstocks are the old style film finishes, like the one you suggested could be repaired. It didn't look that good to start with, so I saw no logic in keeping it.

As for your 10+ years of posts on finishes, good for you. I'm sure you are good at it, but maybe...just maybe...you aren't the only person worthy of an opinion, as your manner would suggest is the case.

And...it just occurred to me that I do have a bolt action that could use a new finish. It presently has a hand rubbed oil finish that's probably25 years old. If you will, please outline the finish you would recommend. I'm quite serious, in that I will consider using what you recommend. I'm out of woodworking projects at the moment and could use a new one. Please outline it stepwise, so that I don't miss something. Maybe I'll learn something, and will then give you the respect that you demand. Ok?