I suppose that you aren't going to give me your favorite stock finish info.

Oil varnish differentiates it from a water based varnish (as in "oil based paint"). Tung Oil dries faster than BLO and sets up harder - making it better for water resistance, though Oils and Wiping Varnishes aren't that great at repelling moisture. That said, some of the very finest gunstock finishes are hand rubbed oil finishes - tung based or BLO based.

Hate to be confrontational. Would rather be nice. However, if you've been spreading your 'info' on this forum for over 10 years, you haven't been doing many favors to budding stock finishers. Though I suppose that if you just pointed them to Tru-Oil you've done a good job. But...it's just a wiping varnish, like Antique Oil.

And why the reluctance to share your favorite stock finish for Walnut? I really would like to know what it is. Learning, at any age, is good. That's why I drove a couple hundred miles to spend a few days with a real woodworking professional some years ago. I did learn a few things, but the good thing that I learned is that I wasn't doing anything particularly wrong. He was, at that time, in the process of making some small side tables from various woods and in various styles, and selling them for $6000 each. Once I got my hands on his finishing process, I made a side table for my wife. Just lovely, it is, and about as nice as what he makes and sells. Makes me happy just to look at it. What doesn't make me happy is that walnut stock on my 220. Give me your finishing secrets and I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Last edited by 603Country; 08/29/14.