Originally Posted by 603Country
The advice to use Antique Oil is good. I've done two walnut stocks with it, and both look great. Do sand with up to 600 grit, then raise the grain and repeat a couple of times. Thin the oil on the first coat foe max penetration.

That said, I just made a few wooden things for a niece and I used pure Tung Oil instead of my old standby, boiled linseed oil. One item was in walnut and the other in Cherry, and I was stunned at how nice they came out. Tung Oil filled wood pores far better than BLO does. Next gunstocks I refinish will be with Tung Oil.

As for Antique Oil and Tru Oil, they and several others are just versions of the same thing, which is a mix of varnish, mineral spirits, and an oil, which can be Tung Oil or BLO.

So if you buy Tung Oil, I'm talking about the stuff Woodcraft sells, which is pure Tung Oil. The Watco Tung Oil is a mix like Tru Oil is. And if you want to use the Antique Oil, but can't get it, buy and use the Danish Oil in the original version.

And then there's the real oil finish, which can take months. If I was going to try that, I'd use that pure Tung Oil. Should look terrific.

Of all the statements you made about finishes only one is correct... I leave you to guessing which one that is.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.