I'm coming off Congestive Heart Failure last February. I'm 52 and I have definitely lost a step after my recent health scare. I'm hoping for 20 more years. Definitely going to have to hunt smarter, as well as harder. I think the long walks back in deep are done. I see a 4 wheeler and a deer cart in my future. Sadly, the days of striking out on my own with a light pack and a compass are coming to an end. I won't give it up until I know I shouldn't be in the woods, and I'm more of a burden than an asset to the group.

For many years, the guys in the camp next to ours in Pennsylvania had an older fellow who hunted out of a very large and comfortable stand about 100 yards from the cabin. He shot quite a few deer out of there, as it was a good crossing. We all took turns going in to check on him every couple hours, and I personally drug 5 bucks in for him over the years. On his death bed he said one of his greatest joys in life was the fact that he was able to stay in the woods for a few extra years. I hope I have the health to make the same statement my self some day.

Last edited by gophergunner; 08/10/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla