Unlike most guys, I came to this sport fairly late. I was in my mid-20's and out of college. As it is, I've had 30-some years and I'm hoping that I'm at the midway point. That would put me up in my mid-80's, when I hunt my last.

I've done a lot to prepare:

1) I found a relatively flat spot in a rather hilly state. I remember stopping about a half-hour into our first hike on the property and announcing to KYHillChick that we HAD to buy the place, because we'd been hiking for a half hour on a hot July day and we hadn't cracked a sweat yet.
2) I have a house on the property, and I am planning on retiring there and adding on. If the worst comes, I will still be able to post at my bedroom window and nail one out in the fields from my wheelchair.
3) I lost my first group of hunting buddies to the ravages of old age about 25 years ago. My solution was to go and grow my own replacements. I have 3 sons; 2 that hunt, and they all like to come to the farm. I now have a granddaughter, and I have been teaching her to hunt since she came home from the hospital
4) I have decided this year that 35 Whelen was my high-water mark as far as recoil. From now on I'm going to work my way down. My 80-something hunting buddy O.T. finally retired from the sport and I acquired his 25-06.
5) Instead of trading in my S-10 a few years ago, I kept it and turned it into a dedicated deer wagon with a winch and ramps. My 75 yr old hunting partner SuperCore can hoist a deer in by himself.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer