Back in my 40's I started to ponder this. Only with elk, not deer. Figured I could make it to 70,and those 30 years flew buy. I can only remember one season I missed because of work, but two seasons because of injuries. Luckily Colorado has given me the opportunity to hunt two elk season every year the last ten years or so and I try real hard to do that.

I will be 71 next week and the last 2-3 years have gotten a lot tougher that is for sure. I really thought I had to quit two years ago and almost did.

I did quit packing into remote areas and hunt from a camp where I can drive into, but I don't drag or carry anything. I use my mules to ride and pack and that has stretched my hunting career too.

This past year, I have sold all my big equipment and bought a slide in pop up camper and a smaller bumper pull trailer. I'm looking to get 5 more years in, but that isn't real sure though.

It's astonishing how many guys in their forties think they have all the time in the world to go on those special hunts, but age catches up with them and they never get to. I think any hunt past the age of 65 is gravy because you never know if you can do it the following year.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles