Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I've never been a Wby fan, but ended up with a MkV in .257 Wby. It wasn't consistent so I put a 7RM Brux tube on it and dropped it in a McM Wby. Express (formally Sako Safari).

The MkV is a big, heavy action, but is slick and fast, seems well made. I replaced the factory trigger with a Timney and it's a serious shooter.

Still not a Wby fan. My only Wby. round is the .240 but in an HS rifle. It too is a shooter. I traded for that rifle, but if doing a build would go 6mm-06 instead of .240. Wby brass is expensive and forming .240 cases from .25-06 brass takes muscle, making 6mm-06 cases, much easier.

And, I would go with an 8 twist instead of 10 to use the 105 Scenar. My .240 can't handle that bullet.

DF

I imagine. Especially since the .240 is belted and the .25-06 isn't.

It can be done, just take some muscle. Link to the process and equipment.

Making 6mm-06 brass from .25-06 cases not nearly as hard.

The 6mm-06 case is beltless and has a tad more capacity than the .240. A from the ground up build, no contest, go with the 6mm-06.

DF

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5820015/11

Well I'll be.....I stand corrected. Looks like a major PITA though.

Actually not that bad, just takes some effort with a good, compound press, to swedge the whole case body, leaving the belt. It's best to use new brass, once fired has been "worked", making it hard. You wouldn't think just one firing would make brass that much harder, but it seems to. I guess one could anneal used brass, but you don't want to get too far down on the case body with that process. It's just easier to use virgin brass.

DF