Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
O'Reilly is not implying anything. Simply stating fact. �12 million arrests a year, 400 fatal shootings, many of them justified�

Having a little trouble with the meaning of the word "implication?" I'm here for you; let me help.

If he were not implying what I contend, he would have written something more like this:

"Out of 12 million arrests a year, there are only 400 fatal shootings, and only a fraction of those turn out to be unjustified. Of course, every unjustified shooting is an inexcusable tragedy; but..."

By not making a point of the outrageousness of any unjustified shooting--by anyone, but especially by a government cop who claims to be a servant and a protector--he is implying that there is no such point to be made.

If he had said, "There are millions of blacks in this country, many of whom are not congenital criminals," do you think he would have gotten anywhere with your "simply stating fact" defense?

His implied thought is appalling enough; but it gets worse twice. First, his sponsors gave him money to finance the dissemination of that implication without abandoning him in droves. Second, people like you and others on this thread applaud and/or defend him for it.

Do you honestly believe that you live in a world where any police shooting is not fully investigated?
That unjustified shootings are not prosecuted?

Of course we do--at least, where police shootings are not given nearly the degree of scrutiny that Mundane shootings are. Eventually, if the War On Drugs continues--which it almost certainly will until the entire government collapses under its own weight--government cops will essentially have an explicit or implicit license to kill Mundanes for any reason or no reason, provided the particular Mundanes in question are not of some special value to the government.

That's the direction we've been going for decades, and there's nothing on the horizon except total economic collapse that suggests that any change in direction is coming.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867