Originally Posted by muddy22
Rev, short answer is yes for me. Mine all have short Rigby style for-ends placing the front band closer than if on a standard length for-end. I also generally have a leather glove on my left hand while hunting, both for movement through woods/brush and to shoot with (the other is in my right rear pocket). I use a sling a lot for shooting (small bore and high power target shooter). I took my Mod. 70 classic sporter 25-06 Antelope hunting a few years ago and after carrying that thing around w/a steel bipod on it all day went back to only a sling. Don't generally use a highpower style shooting sling but one that at least I can hasty up or can use the loop up front. I always have a sling on my hunting rifles, makes dragging game easier w/both hands, take it off and use a drag strap for non horned animals ect.-Muddy

I wanted to resurrect this thread to follow-up on something I read the other day. On the "shakari connection" site there is a link to African Hunter magazine. On that page there is an article entitled "Taking a Rest." Here is a quote I thought was interesting:

"On a plains game rifle the front sling swivel should be on the forend. The tension placed on a barrel when properly locked into the sling in a good stance is more than enough to slightly bend the barrel on a light sporter. This will have the effect of bringing ones shots low and left (assuming a right handed shooter). With my 7mm, which unfortunately has the sling swivel on the barrel, this translates to approximately 7" low and 4" left at 100m if used with a sling. Unfortunately its not feasible to sight it in just using the sling. You never get the tension the same each time and if you lean against a tree or rock, you are going to exert very little tension on the barrel. If the front sling swivel is on the barrel then the sling is merely a carrying aid on a light rifle."

I've often thought about whether or not having a barrel mounted swivel would cause a shift in point of impact, but I've never experimented with it myself. I know Ingwe said in this thread that he didn't use a sling, but I'm so used to using a "hasty sling" in the field that I wrap up without even thinking about it. Muddy, or anyone else, have y'all experienced POI shift from using a hasty sling mounted on a barrel mounted swivel?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown